General advice and guidance

If you discover a fire in your home or your smoke alarm goes off, DO NOT attempt to tackle the fire or open the door to the room where the fire is

Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service have more information on how you can stay safe in your home, on their website. Here we set out some of our top tips for you.

 

Be prepared

Test your smoke alarm

It is important that your smoke alarm is in good working order. Take some time to do the following:

  • Test it once a week, by pressing the test button until the alarm sounds
  • Vacuum the alarm twice a year and wipe over with a damp cloth to remove any dust
  • Change the battery once a year (unless it's a ten-year alarm)
  • Replace the whole unit every ten years

Set up a nightime routine

You are more at risk from a fire when asleep. So it's a good idea to check your home before you go to bed. Use this quick check list to keep your home safer from fire:

  • Close inside doors at night to stop a fire from spreading
  • Turn off and unplug electrical appliances unless they are designed to be left on - like your freezer
  • Check your cooker is turned off
  • Don't leave the washing machine on
  • Turn heaters off and put up fireguards
  • Put candles and cigarettes out properly
  • Make sure exits are kept clear
  • Keep door and window keys where everyone can find them

 

Reduce the risk of fire

Cooking

Check that cooking appliances are turned-off when you’re not using them. The safest way to cook chips is in an oven or a temperature-controlled deep fat fryer. Don’t cook if you have been drinking, taking drugs or are over-tired

Heaters

Ensure heaters are turned-off properly. Use a guard in front of an electric or gas fire

Keep furniture and clothes away from heaters

Candles

  • Don’t leave candles unattended when lit and put them out carefully
  • Keep candles away from curtains and other flammable materials. Don’t put them on top of the television
  • Use a proper candle holder

If you have medical oxygen equipment or are disabled

If you use oxygen equipment for medical reasons or are disabled, please get in touch to let us know, so we can plan for your individual support needs in the event of an emergency.

Gas safety

Gas is safe for heating and cooking but if it leaks or an appliance is faulty it can be very dangerous. Only registered gas fitters can carry out repairs to gas appliances or connections. Please ensure your own gas appliances are serviced by a registered gas fitter. Don’t use or store bottled gas cylinders in flats.

If you smell gas immediately ring the National Grid Emergencies on 0800 111 999, then call our Customer Hub.

We service the heating system in your home once a year. It’s important that we have access to your home, so we can carry out this check. If you haven’t received a visit in the past year, please phone our Customer Hub to make an appointment.

Electrical safety

Only qualified electricians should fit sockets or alter the wiring in your home. If you wish to carry out home improvements, please contact us so we can arrange a visit to check the work it is safe.

Don’t overload electrical sockets. Warning signs include: hot plugs, a buzzing noise, scorch marks on plugs or sockets, appliances going on/off and flickering lights. Report any faults to our Customer Hub.

 

Check your appliances

One of the main causes of electrical fires is faulty and recalled appliances, so we ask our customers to ensure their appliances are registered. You can register new and older appliances on the Register My Appliance website at www.registermyappliance.org.uk.

 

Hair straighteners

Keep hair straighteners out of reach of children. Children’s skin can be 15 times thinner than that of adults so it’s important to keep hair tools out of reach. Use a heat proof pouch when using your hair straighteners. Hair straighteners stay hot up to 40 minutes after they have been switched-off. Make sure you don’t leave hair straighteners unattended and make sure you unplug them when you have finished.

 

Act quickly

How to treat burns

In the event of a serious burn, follow the three Cs:

  • Cool the burn with running tap water for 20 minutes. Do not apply ice, butter or toothpaste. Remove any clothing, jewellery or nappies
  • Cover the cooled burn with loose Clingfilm or a clean non-fluffy cloth. Warm the patient
  • Call for emergency help on 999, or for less urgent help call 111 or your local GP

Latest news

Free PPE for Thousands of Trafford Residents

Trafford residents are set to receive 4,000 sets of personal protective equipment (PPE) thanks to Trafford Housing Trust and Trafford Council.

Read More

New Property Partnership to Create Employment Opportunities Across the North West

A new partnership between Trafford Housing Trust and Procure Plus is set to bring new career opportunities and training to local communities and individuals who are long-term unemployed or looking to make a career change into the construction industry.

Read More

Trafford Housing Trust’s funding boost for mental health charities

Trafford residents are set to benefit from four new initiatives created to help support mental health and wellbeing throughout COVID-19.

Read More

Half Term Holiday Hunger Boost from Trafford Housing Trust

Half Term Holiday Hunger Boost from Trafford Housing Trust

Read More

THT customers could get £140 off your electricity bill from a government scheme

THT customers could get £140 off your electricity bill from a government scheme

Read More

Kris Peach Joins Board of Trafford Housing Trust

Trafford Housing Trust elects a new board member as Non-Executive Director (NED)

Read More